16 September, 2009

No turning back

(This was a vision I was working on. I am not sure I am finished with it, but it had some interesting developments to me)

No turning back
on the icy cold plains
As the sky turns to black
as the wind brings the rain
My thin shirt does naught
a thing to protect
I sit, huddled, distraught
feeling distant, and bereft
And sleep will not come
I simply can't rest
I open my eyes
Remembering a test
Shuddering and shivering
Blundering, quivering
I walk out, I'm guided
I want to be snivering
And I want to rest
but its time to go forth
to the hustle and bustle
to finish this test
I go off to town
and filled full of fear
and I see the eyes
I see them leer
and then halfway there
I freeze in my tracks
Don't want to go forward
I will not go back
I barely register
and freeze when I find
a wolf has my silhouette
in mind
I fear the town
so I gather my courage
then I look at the wolf
then look at the forest
The wolf is more me than I
with those deep gazing eyes
beckoning me
lets ride in the night
So I jump on her back
and I start ridin'
we're free as we run
just the moon shining
Across the dark night
past the far fields
i see the far oceans
and mountains and steel
There's chaos and noise
keep running we do
think if we run far
we'll be safer, too
A great grove of trees
with no weeds underneath
a peaceful respite
the wolf stops to breathe
she lets me off and i saunter about
a tree draws me near
i walk underground
i walk into the roots
of this hollow queen
and find myself inside
a timeless, fine dream
and when i look out, i see all the others
the other trees, as sisters and brothers
im happy i smile, at least for a second
i don't think a bit that anything's pressing
the wolf starts to sniff
and lays down so quiet
but something in the wind
draws me back in
what was it, i wonder, i left in that town?
its so peaceful here
but the truth im remembering now
to town i must go
leave this fine place
i want to stay, but there is no escape
the wolf i do ride, tumbling again
the breeze flows by like riding on the wind
she gives me her fangs
her jagged sharp nails
i thank her
she smiles and gives me her mail
her leather fur armor
perhaps it will help
i start off quite clean
but as i walk in
my clean, polished sheen
does not last a min
i get scarred and bloody
smiling, thinking oh, lovely
I keep on going and moving
attacked in all directions
by the shadow creatures, the razor monsters
and the chainsaw demon with an unsavory infection
i realize right then, that im going to die
but its all ok, i just say goodbye
i make it to town and i fulfill my quest
by going to the door
then i breathe my last breath
and pull open and swing
that great wooden frame
The future comes forth and I fall
but it's ok
My mind starts swirling
I see a bright light
a flashing of fear
a losing of sight
And then a return
warmed by the nectar
Get up slowly, a voice says
You've been resurrectered
Who am I? Jesus, I ask when I wake
All of us are, the old man says to my face
There's something I must do
I say, trying to get up
The old man tells me, rest easy, son
Sit still and sup
Your work is all through
Your labor is done
Maybe unexpected
but you actually won
And to tell the truth
I'm quite happy about
the fact that I haven't
died yet somehow
Looking out the window
I see the mountaintop
a graveyard grove of trees
with some cubs there on the top
I smile, and they see me
and they all begin to howl
I smile back at them, whisper
there's no turning back now

1 comment:

vedekdrew said...

Hummm, like Cathy's "The Flow," I keep coming back to this....