17 April, 2012

GRANOLA!

Ingredients:
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup coconut flakes(unsweetened)
1/4 cup oil(I prefer peanut. Butter will burn easily)
1/4 cup honey(or other sweetener)
Cinnamon, Cardamom, Lavender, Turmeric, Sea Salt or Other Spices to Taste

Preheat Oven to 300 F
Mix the above ingredients well then place in a pan, trying not to make the mixture more than a few inches deep in a large pan.
Place in oven, checking every 10 minutes to stir. Depending on the amount of granola it will take 20-30 minutes.
After cooling, add raisins, other nuts and seeds to your liking



Does it make me a hippie that I make my own granola? Or that I sometimes put hemp seed in there? I smoke cannabis very seldomly and don't listen to Bob Marley or The Dead very much. I do have a small garden and prefer to walk around the city or ride my bike rather than pollute the air so maybe that cancels out the not smoking part? I don't know.

According to Wikipedia, "Both the words "hip" and "hep" came from African American culture and denote "awareness".[1] The early hippies inherited the countercultural values of the Beat Generation, created their own communities, listened to psychedelic rock, embraced the sexual revolution, and some used drugs such as cannabis, LSD and magic mushrooms to explore altered states of consciousness."

I find that I can relate to parts of this label, but any label, be it "hippie", "goth", "beatnik", "schizophrenic" or "lazy" makes me feel claustrophobic and dehumanized. I don't think we will ever stop having categories, but I also don't think we will ever be able to successfully categorize humanity and personality which has a million different reasons for being the way that it is and is not easily reduced to a category.

As well as Granola, I have been known to make my own yogurt and sometimes bread, although dumpster diving at the Essential Bakery in Fremont, Seattle is where I prefer to procure the goods for my glutenous needs. So maybe I really am a "hippie".

But enough about me and my diet. There are a million other websites that do a better job of sharing good recipes than mine. You know, ones written by those crazy "health nuts".

3 comments:

Andrea Rouda said...

This is fabulous! You are a great writer!

Andrea Rouda said...

This is fabulous! You are a great writer...who knew?

ozjthomas said...

Thanks!