15 May, 2012

American Psycho

I can relate to this movie much more than I'd like to admit. In American Psycho (based off the book of the same name), we're treated to a cold, impersonal Wallstreet world where the only things that seem to matter are how good you look and how cool you are.

It's easy to call Patrick Bateman crazy. He is, after all murdering people. But the character is deeply tragic, also. He is so cut off and alienated and as far as I can tell he really just wants nothing more than to belong, but it's something that has made him completely insane.


Even though the movie takes place in the crazy Wallstreet world of the 80's, it's a world that still exists today. And I know the movie is exagerrated- it's a satire, isn't it? But I can't help seeing part of myself in this world. Not exactly the murdering part, but lines like this:


"There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there. "

I sometimes feel as if living in this world, I have lost my humanity as well, growing up having more of a relationship with Donald Duck than with my mother. It's a little scary and a lot sad.

No comments: