07 May, 2012

Take it Easy

I have a recipe for yoghurt, below. It's very simple and saves money.

  • 1 quart of milk(soy milk, coconut milk and almond milk can be used, although I've found some milks work better than others)
  • 2-3 tbspn. yoghurt from a previous batch

Heat up the yoghurt and milk mixture to no more than 105 F in a small sauce pan and keep it at this temp for 5 minutes.
Transfer to another container that can be kept at this temperature for 6-8 hours. I use mason jars and set it on a heating pad. Some people use the tops of ovens or "yoghurt makers".

Although it takes a few minutes, I save quite a bit of money and plastic yoghurt tubs and am able to make vegan yoghurt quite easily(soy and coconut yoghurt are hard to find). At first when I told a friend I was making yoghurt he laughed, because he said "you have more energy than I do".

I am notoriously lazy and like to sleep half of the day if possible. I definitely don't have much energy. But I find myself making similar statements when feeling overwhelmed by some of the changes that I would like to make. Growing food, learning new languages, self publishing and creating books and artwork looks incredibly daunting. I still find myself using the same excuses everyone else does: "I can't do it", "Those people have more energy than I do", "I'm a failure, a loser". And yet I made my own yoghurt (which goes along with my awesome chili-lavender-cardamom granola)

You gotta start somewhere.

No comments: