16 December, 2014

New York

Going to New York today and I'm up early, getting ready. I've been in the city a few times- a beautiful, interesting and complex place that I've barely scratched the surface of. On my first trip, I believe I saw a lot of the landmarks- times square, central park, rockefeller center and the empire state building. On other trips I saw Broadway shows and the Statue of Liberty, some Museum exhibits and some other pieces of neighborhoods. I don't know if I'll ever understand the city beyond as a tourist and I'm not sure I want to- the city is so fast paced, it makes me feel somewhat disjointed and nervous, and unable to withstand more than a day or two of it's mania. Still, I am curious about neighborhoods and finding something more interesting about the city. I'd like one day to see more of Queens- if for no other reason than to see where my mom was born and in this trip we're going to see a few more neighborhoods and the original Fountain House- the first "clubhouse" for mental illness.

It should be interesting, although probably as dyspepsic as usual.

I'll let you know how it goes in further updates on this blog, which I am renewing my resolution to post at least semi-regularly on, mostly as a way of documenting my thoughts and possibly finding a solution to nebulous problems.

Watch this space.

No comments: